Wednesday, July 31, 2024

By request: Why do I need a trainer?






This month, I’m taking requests for things folks want to know about fitness (yes, please!  Ask me questions and I will blog the answers!).

What do I need a trainer for, anyway?

 

None of us really need a trainer.  Any of us can exercise all on our own.  There are tons of resources out there for what to do and how to do it.  Heck, I post a free workout every week right here on this blog.

 

What my clients pay me for depends on the client, but their reasons fall into some basic categories.

 

1.     I do the thinking and planning, so they don’t have to.  It’s my job to choose and modify the exercises, keep track of what weights they use for which exercises, and count the reps.

2.     I provide accountability.  They pay me, so they tend to show up to do the work.

3.     I “make” people do things for their own good.  The truth is that I can’t make anybody do anything.  But I have a really good Mom look and a clipboard and everything, so I look like an authority.  It goes a long way toward convincing people that they might as well get those burpees over with.

4.     I make it fun, or at least tolerable.  I keep the workouts varied, provide encouragement, chat about whatever to distract from whatever horrible thing we’re getting through.  Worst case, I find substitutions for exercises that people really can’t or won’t do.

5.     I keep it safe.  I monitor my clients’ form, adjust for injuries or other conditions, and keep tabs on energy levels.  If I need to, I will stop the workout to keep my clients safe.

6.     I have a bunch of education and can explain why we are doing things.  Some clients don’t care, but some find the underlying reasons for various exercises fascinating and motivating.  I am a trove of miscellaneous fitness facts.

 

Yes, having a trainer is a luxury.  It’s also efficient and, I hope, fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment