Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Getting High






Last month I took a couple of trips to a higher altitude, one to go skiing and one to visit my son and daughter in law.  I’m noticing that as I get older, the altitude affects me more.  Here’s how to deal with it while working out:

Slow down.  The upside of feeling the altitude is that our heart rates increase all by themselves.  This means we don’t need to work out as hard to get cardio benefits.  The downside is that we may have to take more breaks or longer rests to get our heart rates back down.

 

Hydrate.  This is always a good idea, but at altitude it’s particularly important because it can help alleviate the headaches that come along with height.

 

Remember to breathe.  Again, this is always essential, but more so at altitude.  It’s good to do breathwork before going to altitude so that we already know how to focus on the breath, but even a few conscious, deep breaths can make a difference.

 

Go play.

No comments:

Post a Comment