Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Something Made New






Last week I did something new.  One of my friends invited me to go electric biking with her.  I don’t have an electric bike, but her husband kindly loaned me his for the occasion.

 

Was it the same as biking on my road bike or my mountain bike?  No.  But it reminded me about how much fun bikes can be.  The short version of why I don’t bike much anymore is that it hurts my body in a lot of places.  The electric bike’s geometry and the little bit of assist it gave me (I could have used more, but I have legs for a reason and I’m going to use them!) made it possible for me to go without my arms falling off and without having to suffer my way up hills.

 

There are many possible lessons to take from this, and not all of them involve shopping.  One is that finding a way to modify the things we want to do to make them workable for our bodies is a worthwhile endeavor.  Another is that getting a glimpse of success can motivate us to put in the work to get there (yes, I now want to take my non-electric bikes out for more quality time).

 

Joy is my favorite result from movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment