Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Change







I’m apparently feeling like Captain Obvious again today, but sometimes that’s useful.  Here’s your news flash:  if your workout isn’t changing, it’s not working.

 

All right, now that I’ve got the obvious bit out of the way, I’ll return to my usual nuance to add some detail to that statement.

 

Two things happen while we work out:  we get stronger and we get older.  Depending on which one is happening more, our workout needs to adjust to match it.  Most of the time, I think, we get stronger faster than we get older, so in general our workouts should involve heavier weights over time.

 

That said, getting older is still happening.  We may discover that we need to work out smarter and not harder, choosing fewer exercises (with those heavier weights because we are still getting stronger) so as to keep our recovery time manageable.

 

The bottom line is:  if your workout is exactly the same as it was five years ago, something is wrong.  I’m happy to help with an update. 

No comments:

Post a Comment