Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Make It Count






I spend a lot of time working with numbers.  It comes with the job.  I count reps.  I choose weights.  I think about heart rate and HRV.  I track minutes and calories.  All that data is nice and crisp and manageable, but it is not the only kind of data we have available to us.  It might not even be the most important kind.

 

Of course I get excited when clients reach new milestones.  It feels great to set a new personal best.  We all like to point to that time we ran a gazillion miles in twelve seconds (I am being purposely ridiculous so no one attaches too much import to the actual distance and time).  We feel like we have an accomplishment that counts.

 

Counts for what, though?  Some of us may, at the end of our lives, want to remember that one time we lifted the equivalent of six elephants and a pony, but I doubt it.  In the large view, we probably care more about the times we played tag with the kids or grandkids or the awe-inspiring walking tour we took with our significant other.  We do all that number tracking for a reason, and the reason is not to do more number tracking, but to live a full and joyful life.

 

Please do spend good time in the gym, but please also spend good time out of it using all the strength and endurance and flexibility and balance learned.

 

Go play.

No comments:

Post a Comment