Tuesday, April 12, 2022

And cake. There will be cake.






So today is my birthday.  (Fine.  I wrote this ahead, but I’m posting it on my birthday.)  Time is passing.  I am now 54.

 

The best part about birthdays, obviously, is the presents.  Here are the presents I am giving myself this year in hopes of eventually giving myself many more good years.

 

First, I am giving myself the gift of cardio.  Getting breathless does so many good things for me:  keeps my mood positive, helps my brain work, gives me the endurance to have the adventures I want, burns calories, and, not coincidentally, I think it’s fun (most of the time).

 

Second, I am giving myself some outside.  It’s really easy for me to spend a whole day without going out in the fresh air, but I’m making it a priority.  Some of it is for the novelty of a new environment.  Some of it is about spending time with plants and flowers.  All of it is good for me.

 

Third, I am giving myself a break.  I could make this list of good-for-me gifts long and complicated.  Sometimes we can have too much of even good things (like cupcakes).  The stress of trying to do All The Things and do them perfectly (natch) gets large and tends to undo the benefits.

 

What would you give yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment