Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Lessons from Uncle Joe






One of the things I do in my personal Pilates practice is to cycle through the whole repertoire of exercises from my initial teacher training.  It helps keep the exercises present in my mind and it ensures that I don’t just do my favorite things over and over.  I’ve just finished my latest cycle through.  Here’s what I learned this time.

 

It doesn’t work to skip steps.  The things that are hard for my body in the easier exercises don’t magically transform when I get to the harder ones.  That segment of my spine that doesn’t like articulating at the beginning still doesn’t like articulating at the end, even if it does appreciate the practice.

 

Simple doesn’t mean easy or stupid.  When I return to the earliest exercises after doing the last ones, I realize that there is a lot packed in to even the most basic Pilates moves.

 

Everything works better when I breathe.  I mean, yeah.  Breathe or die, baby.  But taking the time to move with the breath, to let the rhythm of motion work with the rhythm of breath, makes both breath and motion go better.

 

Want to try Pilates?  Poke me!

No comments:

Post a Comment