Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Four things



I am good at getting stuff done.  What I’m not good at is getting it done with a sense of calm.  I think I am not alone in this and that it is an issue for our fitness.

Not everything we do has to be accomplished with gritted teeth at Threat Level 500.  We need simple, guilt-free rubrics to encourage us to do enough and then let go.

I am always coming up with a new system to track what I need to do without making myself feel overwhelmed and hopeless.  Here’s what I’m trying right now.  I have a post-it note on my computer with four words on it (well, plus a couple of other notes that I jotted there).  They are:  body, mind, creation, connection.  If I do one thing for each of those categories every day, I win.

So maybe I do a weight workout, take some notes for my nutrition class, work on a quilt, and trade jokes with my kid.  Or maybe I walk with a friend (hey!  That works for two things!), knit, and read a book with my lunch.  Some days the emphasis will be more on the body part, some days more on something else, but if I do something in every category, it’s enough.

What is working for you right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment