Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Greater Than






This is one of those posts that comes with my usual disclaimer:  I am not a doctor, physical therapist, or other medical professional.  I do not diagnose or treat illness or injury.  I am just a personal trainer and a Pilates instructor.  Medical treatment is crucial to our wellbeing and we should not hesitate to seek medical advice as needed.

Now that I have said that, I need to say something else.  We are not a diagnosis.

 

What do I mean?  I mean that even if we have a diagnosis from our doctor that says we have osteoporosis, or a rotator cuff tear, or plantar fasciitis, we are still strong and powerful humans with tons of ability and potential.  When we show up to work out, we obviously want to move safely, but we also want to work to the best of our ability.

 

Every diagnosis is a generalization.  How plantar fasciitis plays out in my body is not the same as it plays in anybody else’s body.  We unique unicorns need to acknowledge our diagnoses and then explore what that really means, gently and carefully, in our own bodies.  We may discover that we can do a lot more than we thought.

 

We want to respect the expertise of our doctors and also our own expertise as the only ones who have ever lived in our own bodies.

 

Go play.

No comments:

Post a Comment