Wednesday, August 3, 2022

I Sit There With a Clipboard and Look at People






Every once in a while, I see that meme come around that asks people to describe what they do badly.  There are lots of ways to do that for my job, but one I am fond of is that I make people do what they don’t want to do for their own good.  The reason it is a bad description of my job is that I actually don’t make anyone do anything.

 

When things are going right with my work, I design a workout for my clients and they do it, but it’s not that simple.  As they move through the exercises, we collaborate.  If I see a form compensation, we discuss what’s happening.  They may say that a weight feels too heavy or too light, or I might notice that myself.  For any number of reasons, an exercise I have selected is not the right one for the current circumstances—it might be a good day to avoid jumping or the day after lugging boxes or the dog might have got underfoot causing a twisted ankle.  We adjust.

 

Even with everything going right and all the appropriate adjustments, some parts of workouts are not very fun (looking at you, lunges, burpees, and hamstring curls).  Then it is my job to provide the motivation to get through those parts.  For some clients, this is a focus on what the exercise is for.  Sometimes clients just need to know that they don’t have to pretend to like the exercise.  Ultimately, I can’t make anyone do an exercise.  We are adults and consent is an important aspect of life generally.  I suggest, based on my education and experience, but in the end, clients have to choose to do the work.

 

Let’s play.

No comments:

Post a Comment