Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Yes, and






I am all about enthusiasm.  If I like something, it’s not going to be a secret and I might blur the lines between enthusiasm and obsession.  I hope I am not alone in this, because if there’s no excitement in life, what is the point?

 

However, we (going out on a limb here) can’t let our enthusiasm overwhelm our good sense.  When we discover a new kind of workout that is super fun, we can overdo that one thing and neglect our other important fitness tasks.  What do I mean?  For example, we may discover that rollerblading (or swimming, or skiing, or basketball…) is the Best Thing Ever.  We wake up ready to go practice.  We tell all our friends about how great it is.  We do it every day, maybe even twice a day.  Then suddenly we discover that we are stiff and sore and tired.  Or we realize that the Best Thing Ever would work better if we were a bit stronger or more flexible.

 

I am not here to rain on anyone’s parade.  I’m just reminding us all (yeah, me, too!) that just because the Best Thing Ever is fabulous, we still need to put in our time with our stretching (yoga, Pilates) and our friends the weights.  This will help us avoid repetitive stress injuries, stay strong, and keep mobile.

 

Go play, in lots of ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment