Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Recovery Example






I recently had an injury.  (It’s not even a funny story.  I just fell playing pickleball.  The x-rays showed no break in my arm/elbow/wrist, but boy did I hurt.)  Here’s how I determined what to do in terms of my workouts while I recovered.  I’m telling this not because it’s about me, but because I’m a convenient example of how to think through getting back to workouts.

First, and most obviously, I listened to what the doctor said.  I used ice, took Advil, rested (the hardest part!), used elbow and wrist supports and a sling for a couple of days, and then started the PT exercises they sent me.

 

How long we need to rest after an injury depends on a lot of things, like how old we are, what our fitness level is, where we’re injured and how badly, and more.  In my case, since it was my arm that was hurt, after my two day rest/sulk, I got back on my spin bike.  I was super careful to ensure that my arm was supported.  Walking would have been another good choice for movement since it isn’t a ton of impact and allows for movement without straining the injured bits.  I knew that cardio would lift my mood and that I would benefit from doing even a little bit of a workout.

 

My strength training was limited for about a week because holding and lifting weights with my left arm hurt.  I did the PT exercises instead, which also hurt, but in a way approved by my doctor.  Most things we get from our PT friends come with a range.  We start, as with all exercise, with the fewest reps and the lightest weight and work our way up.  That first day doing the minimums was hard and I whined a lot.  However, by the fourth or fifth day, my range of motion had improved a lot and I suffered less.  After almost a week, I could return to modified strength workouts (lighter than usual weights, no upper extremity weight bearing, etc.).

 

I also do Pilates and yoga most days.  Once the first days of idleness were over, I returned to both, modifying as needed to avoid overdoing my arm or my overall energy level—healing takes a lot of energy.  Focusing on the mind-body connection, on flexibility, on quality of movement, and on range of motion helped.  I also valued the relaxation aspects.  Calm people hurt less.

 

Some days I overdid myself.  That happens to all of us sometimes.  I recalibrated and did slightly less the next time, but I did not quit.

 

The overall rubric is to do something, to stop when it gets painful, and to give the body what it needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment