Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Brrr






Exercising when it is cold can be a challenge.  Heck, getting out of bed when it’s cold can be a challenge.  However, I have some ideas to share about how to deal with freezing fitness.

 

First of all, we need layers.  Maybe lots of them.  I was slow to adapt to the whole purpose-built fitness clothes thing, but the fabrics are worth it for the way they breathe.  We stay warm, the sweat “wicks” away, and we don’t end up dragging a fifty pound soggy t-shirt over our head at the end when it’s time to shower.  (I personally run hot these days, so I’m kind of minimalist on the layers and I take them off pretty soon, but I understand that I am at one end of the spectrum.)  Hats, gloves, and warm socks can make a huge difference, as can a layer that stops the wind/rain/weather from attacking us.

 

Second, we need to take a little longer on the warmups.  I hate warmups.  I want to get to work.  But they’re useful, especially when it is cold.  Our muscles need a chance to get used to moving.  Do a gentle cardio warmup and then some stretching before the real deal.

 

Finally, even though it is cold, we need to stay hydrated.  Drink that water.

 

Now go play.

No comments:

Post a Comment