Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Uncle Joe might need more than one chance






Pilates, like yoga, comes in flavors.  There is a classical repertoire, handed down by dear old Uncle Joe Pilates, but different schools and individual teachers take what he gave us and add a dash of this or that.  Some studios specialize in what I might describe as power Pilates, maybe incorporating weights.  Other studios blend more freely with yoga.  Nearly every studio adopts some of the really cool tools that have come into existence since Uncle Joe left us:  the BOSU, the Oov, and other gizmos.

 

I mention this because some people have tried one kind of Pilates and have decided that they do not like it, thanks very much.  I confess that if Pilates was purely the mat exercises, I might be one of those people:  I love my reformer and my trap table and all my other furniture.

 

Finding the Pilates class or one-on-one instructor that is right may require experimentation.  As everyone knows by now, I am a big fan of experimentation.  In other words, ask a bunch of questions and try a few different styles before you give up on Uncle Joe entirely.

 

Go play.

No comments:

Post a Comment