Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Safety first, even if it is ugly






I bought new shoes last week and boy are they ugly.  However, they do what I need them to do:  protect my feet.  Working out is great, but we need to take some basic precautions to keep ourselves safe.  My horrible shoes are part of that because, having once ruptured my plantar fascia, I know that supportive shoes are my friends.

 

Other fashion choices also keep us safe.  Hats to keep the sun off are good.  Fabrics that breathe in hot weather are good.  They’re not exactly clothes, but wearing whatever braces our doctors or orthopedists recommend is definitely smart, as are helmets, life jackets, knee pads, and the like, depending on what we are doing.

 

Another important safety consideration is company.  We don’t want to do heavy lifting alone; we need to bring a friend and share spotting duties.  Similarly, it is probably best not to swim alone.  If we do need to bike/hike/kayak/whatever alone, we need to make sure that someone knows where we are going and that we have essentials with us.  (My essentials are:  driver’s license, credit card, $20 in cash, water, and snacks, plus car keys if I have to drive to the starting point.)

 

Fitness is supposed to make our lives better.  Getting hurt is not better.  Let’s be smart about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment