Wednesday, June 29, 2022

How to get less cross by doing more cross...






I think, by now, we’ve all heard about the benefits of cross-training.  We hear about synergies and improved performance and yada yada.  Here’s an underreported one:  it lets us rest stuff that hurts.

 

I love biking, but if I do too much of it, hip pain will keep me from sleeping.  If I mix in some yoga or swimming or pickleball (my new obsession!), I use my body differently, I still get to work out, and I don’t suffer so much.  (Maybe everyone is tired about hearing about what I do, but I am the most convenient example, and I experiment on myself!)

 

In a pain workshop I attended recently, I learned some of the underlying reasons why cross-training helps.  The short version is that movement reduces pain.  We don’t necessarily need or want to move whatever part that hurts, but moving other parts of the body reduces pain everywhere.  This is why it is a good idea to go for a walk at least on the day after that intense workout in the gym.

 

Try it out and report back!

No comments:

Post a Comment