Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Existential Questions and What Is Truth (Not Really!)






When I meet with clients for the first time, I ask them why they are here.  (Not in the existential sense; that is way beyond the scope of my practice!)  People tell me about things they want to be able to do, events they have coming up, dire warnings from their doctors, all kinds of things.  This is important, because it helps me know how to program for their different goals and what motivates them.

 

The thing is, sometimes we (yes, me, too!) think that some reasons for exercising are better or more acceptable than others.  We’re willing to admit that it would be nice to get to the top of the stairs without being out of breath, but maybe less willing to say that what we really want is to buy smaller jeans, or to blow away that old flame at the 85th reunion, or to feel more comfortable in a bathing suit.

 

Eventually, the truth comes out.  And you know what?  I don’t judge.  My job is to help my clients reach THEIR goals, not some ideal set of goals approved by the surgeon general or their moms or the latest research into longevity.  I am here for my clients, whatever their goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment