Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Leave feeling better...



In my own Pilates practice, my workouts have two parts.  One part is made up of exercises I need to do all the time to keep my body functioning as it should.  It is familiar and warms me up for the other part.  Sometimes it gets a little boring because it rarely shifts.

The second part is where I push myself a little, revisit exercises I don’t do as often, work on movements that really challenge me.  I might whine a little (or a lot…  I’m there by myself and there is no one to be annoyed by it!).  I might have to go slower than I’d like.  It gets hard.

What I find is that I need both halves.  If I spend too much time on the foundation stuff, I don’t make progress.  If I only do the hard stuff, I get frustrated and sore.  What works best is to approach both halves with patience and curiosity and openness—what is happening in my body today? 

This is the same approach I use with my clients.  The early parts of their workouts are routine and we both get to check in with where their bodies are in the moment.  From there, we can choose exercises to address whatever is going on.

At the end, we want to leave feeling better.

No comments:

Post a Comment