Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Outside!



Since my studio is currently shut down for seeing clients, I’ve been doing some hiking.  I am pleased to say that plenty of other people are, too, while keeping an appropriate distance from anyone they don’t already live with.  Dogs are happy!  People see trees!  There is fresh air!  Not the same walls and ceiling and floor as the rest of the time!

I am not an expert hiker, by any stretch of the imagination.  That said, I have some thoughts on what makes hiking more fun for me and possibly for other non-experts.  Some of this is generally good fitness advice, but one thing that isn’t is:  take lots of pictures.  I like taking pictures pretty much everywhere, but I get much nicer pictures on hikes because trees and lichens and fungi and flowers and all the rest of nature is so darn beautiful.  Also, it is a good reason to stop when I could really use a moment to breathe on the ten millionth hill.

Because I have issues with my feet, I wear hiking-appropriate shoes most of the time.  On uneven surfaces, we need grippy soles and supportive structure.  Layering clothes, preferably with pockets, work best.  Bring water.

Other than that, go on an adventure!  We don’t have to go far or fast to have a good time and get the benefits of being out and moving.

Go play!

No comments:

Post a Comment