Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Worse than working out



We are used to the idea that fatigue and injury come from working out, but they can also result from lack of movement.  How do I know?  Experience.

A little over a week ago, as I mentioned before, I went to a workshop.  Which is to say that I sat on the floor continuously for about six hours.  There were breaks.  We practiced some movements.  But mostly I sat and took notes.  The result:  hip pain that made me cry.  After a week of gentle movement and lots of aspirin and swearing plus a massage, I felt better enough to get back to a normal workout routine over the weekend.

This is anecdotal evidence.  My body is not your body.  I have underlying conditions that you do not have and you have some I don’t.  Nonetheless, I think most of us know that we are even more tired and achy after a week of meetings than after a week of working out.

Sometimes we really do have to sit there and suck it up.  When we do, we figure out how to cope.  But whenever we can, we need to make sure that we are getting enough movement to keep ourselves sane and pain free.

We can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment