Thursday, February 28, 2019

Spin to win!



I think of my spin bike as an insanity prevention machine.  (That is not its only use, of course, but it might be the most important.)  It has almost-magical powers.

I grumble and trudge my way on to it in the morning.  I begin to pedal slowly as I scroll through my playlists to find the music of the day.  As my legs warm up, so does my whole attitude.

By the end of my ride, I’m both calmer and more energetic.  My brain is working better.  The problems of the day seem much more manageable.  I may even have a fighting chance of remembering what I’m supposed to accomplish!

I am not the only one for whom spinning and other cardio exercises create positive changes.  We all get to wave hello to our endorphins as we pedal by (yes, I know the spin bike doesn’t actually GO anywhere, but it’s a metaphor…).  We’re ticking off lots of boxes on our cosmic to-do lists as well:  we’re reducing our risk of cardiovascular disease, hypertension, diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and some forms of cancer, while improving our brain function and mood.

Go play!

No comments:

Post a Comment