Friday, February 15, 2019

Friday Reading Report: Summary of Vitamins and Minerals



The last bunch of chapters in my text have been about vitamins and minerals.  Let me summarize.

Humans need a whole bunch of different vitamins and minerals for optimum function.  However, we do not need huge quantities of each one.  In fact, the symptoms of vitamin and/or mineral toxicity are often as horrible as the symptoms of deficiency.  (Heart arrhythmia?  Nerve damage?  Coma and death, anyone?)  In this, as in so many things, we want the Goldilocks way:  just the right amount.

It is extremely human to think:  I will do this the easy way and pop some supplements and then I can go on my merry, donut-eating way.  Sadly, this does not work as well as we might hope.  For one thing, the body absorbs many vitamins and minerals more efficiently from food.  For another, supplements, given the state of regulation in the industry, may or may not contain what they are supposed to and might even contain a bunch of stuff they are NOT supposed to.  The exceptions:  some vegans, people with genetic disorders, and folks taking certain medications may require supplements.  (Please note:  I take a bunch of supplements myself, but I’m weeding them down as a result of what I’ve learned.)

If I had to summarize this entire book, not just these chapters, the advice would be the same:  Eat a varied diet with lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins; don’t forget to move.

Unfortunately, I don’t think the summary will be enough to pass the test…

No comments:

Post a Comment