Friday, November 30, 2018

Friday Reading Report: Metabolic Metaphors!



This is only sort of about what I’m learning in my nutrition text.  In my defense, at some point learning has to connect with experience and with previous knowledge.  We have to create something new out of what we knew and what we now know.

I’m just getting started on the metabolism chapter.  It has been many years since I considered the Krebs cycle (now, apparently, more commonly called the citric acid cycle, at least in nutrition circles).  However, what caught my attention was the cost of glycolysis. 

Glycolysis is the breakdown of glucose.  It is one of the energy pathways in the body.  The thing is, in order to begin, the body has to add energy to get energy.  There are, in effect, start-up costs.

What is not to like about a metabolic metaphor?  There are so many things in our lives that give us energy.  The thing is, we need to give them some energy first.  Sometimes it is easy to invest that little bit of energy to get more.  Sometimes we need to figure out where that initial energy can possibly come from.  We might need a boost to get started.

I’m here if anyone needs a little starting energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment