Wednesday, January 24, 2018

I'm not so great at taking photos, either, but it's fun!


Yesterday I wrote about appreciating what we’re good at.  Today I want to talk about appreciating what we’re bad at.

I am not a strong swimmer.  I swim backstroke because I have only figured out how to breathe on one side when I crawl.  I’m slow.  And all of that is all right.

Would I like to be a stronger swimmer?  Sure.  But for now, I am happy being wet and occasionally crashing into the lane lines.  My heart rate gets up.  My muscles get tired.  My chest opens up.  And, for me, it is just bonus points that I get to smell like chlorine at the end.


We do not have to be good at everything we enjoy, or at everything that is good for us.  We can still get the benefit of doing something if it isn’t perfect.  And we may even get the benefit of laughing at ourselves.  Taking ourselves lightly is a not-inconsiderable thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment