Friday, January 26, 2018

Friday Book Report: The Heart of Yoga


I find it very handy when I happen to like a book that I have to read anyway.  T.K.V. Desikachar’s book, The Heart of Yoga:  Developing a Personal Practice, is one of the texts for the yoga course I’m taking.  It is a lovely book.

For the course, we don’t have to read every chapter, but I read the whole thing anyway because that is how I roll.  Desikachar has a gift for lucid explanation and tells a good story when it is useful to illustrate a point.  There is also a gentleness and humor to his prose, which is welcome given that he has to unpack some complicated ideas and introduce some arcane practices.

The diagrams support the text well.  Even better, many of the (vintage) photographs feature Desikachar’s father and teacher, Krishnamacharya.  They illustrate the poses and ideas, of course, but have a pleasing tone of lightness and fun (and sometimes striped shorts!).


Desikachar lays out the eight limbs of yoga and discusses them at length.  He concludes the book with a translation and commentary on Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras.  I expect to treasure this book and use it often.

No comments:

Post a Comment