Wednesday, August 28, 2024

The Monster






I recently had a conversation or two that reminded me about my belief that there are things I need to talk about because I want it to be more normal to talk about.  That’s a terrible sentence, but I’m going with it.  Here’s the deal:  I have depression.

Most of the time, I have depression and it’s just a thing in the background.  It never really goes away, but it doesn’t wreak havoc, either.  It’s like an ugly picture on the wall that I’m used to even if I can’t get rid of it entirely.  I know I am not the only person running around with this issue.

 

I am one of the lucky ones.  My depression is manageable.  Once in a while, it jumps me and takes a day or so out of my life.  Then I have to deploy my coping skills, which is why I’m writing about this in a fitness post.

 

Exercise is so helpful in dealing with depression.  Yes, it is a real challenge to get started on any kind of workout when the world feels way too heavy, but if at all possible, we need to try.

 

For one thing, exercise gets our good brain chemicals flowing.  We need that runner’s high, baby.  (Note:  we don’t have to run to get it.  Walking or anything cardio will do.  I’d rather be depressed than run.)

 

Another benefit of exercise when we’re depressed is that it gets us out of our heads and into our bodies.  If we’re sweating, we’re thinking about how our lungs feel or how our legs feel or how our arms might fall off if we do one more rep, not about any of the nasty games our minds play with us in depression.

 

Then there is the fact that we are doing something.  A nice, finite task that increases our sense of efficacy in the world is kryptonite for that Depression Monster.

 

Please note:  NONE of this is a substitute for medical or psychiatric care.  If you are feeling suicidal, PLEASE seek help and/or call 1-800-273-8255 for the hotline.  Please stay.

2 comments: