Tuesday, January 26, 2021

The glass of fashion for molding form... (sorry Hamlet)






Anyone who has met me in person knows that I’m not exactly the Queen of Fashion.  I feel pretty clever for figuring out a career in which I get to wear sweats every day.  However, all sweats are not created equal.

 

First:  we can work out in whatever we want to wear.  Feel comfortable in that holey old t-shirt?  Go for it.  What you wear is far less important than what you do.  The rest of what I have to say is stuff to think about when you need new stuff or you want to upgrade.

 

Now that we’re clear on that, let’s start with the basics.  We need underwear that works.  I will let the male-identifying figure this one out on their own because my practical experience is not useful here.  But those of us who identify as female may want to consider wearing panties that are not all cotton because cotton gets soggy and uncomfortable when we get sweaty.  Bikers may want to find panties with the fewest seams to avoid chafing.  Sports bras come in a variety of styles, some more supportive than others (brief plug for the Title Nine company’s rating system for their bras:  it comes as a number of barbells…).  Generally speaking, the higher impact the activity and the larger the breasts, the more support you want in the bra.  Good sports bras can be pricey, but they are really worth it when we feel comfortable while we work out.

 

When it comes to what to put over our good underwear, I am partial to pants with some stretch and compression, but pick what works for you.  Depending on what you are doing, you may want more or less fitted garments.  I am particularly happy with whoever figured out that leggings should have pockets.  On top, I like the high-tech fabrics that breathe, dry quickly, and resist stinking.  In my ideal world, all workout shirts would also have the kind of pocket in the lower back that bike shirts have.

 

Layers are important for the beginning and end of workouts.  I again like pockets.  Also consider ease of putting on and taking off because there is nothing worse than wrestling with a recalcitrant sweatshirt while on the elliptical trainer or in the middle of yoga class.

 

My opinion about socks:  silly is better.  However, finding socks that do not encourage blisters or fall down into shoes is also important.  Some people are opinionated about the fiber content of socks, but I am not one of them.

 

Shoe developers have created custom shoe profiles for nearly every sport imaginable.  I like cross-trainers because I hate to be tied to one particular activity by my shoes.  That said, fit is important.  Some of us need more support than others.  We do not want to work out in uncomfortable shoes.

 

Again, what you wear to work out is not nearly as important as doing the work.  Choose clothes that make it as easy as possible to do what you want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment