Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Both!






Sometimes it seems like I say things that contradict each other.  It might even be true sometimes!  I do try to follow the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Silly!), but that can lead to oversimplifying.  So, now that I’ve blathered on a bit, I will provide some clarity, or nuance.  Hmm… I think I just demonstrated my problem.  Maybe an example will help.

 

I often write about the power of routine.  When we get in the habit of working out, we don’t have to waste a lot of energy getting ourselves started.  We do it like we brush our teeth, same thing daily.

 

And I also often write about the power of doing something different.  New experiences challenge our bodies and brains.

 

Which is true?  Both!  Life is full of nuance.  We want to have a routine for working out, but we also want to change up what we do from time to time.  It’s like getting a new toothbrush or a different flavor of paste, or remembering that flossing is good for us, too.  We want to use the influence of our good habits and apply that to doing bigger and better things.  And it is never bad to practice holding two different ideas in our heads at the same time.

 

Go play.


No comments:

Post a Comment