Friday, June 5, 2020

Friday Reading Report: Hey, I'm not mad this time!


It turns out that the AMA has a nice, concise list of things that we can do to get or remain healthy.  It’s called Life’s Simple 7.  Here is the list, with a few comments:

1.     Don’t smoke.  (We all know this one, right?  I’m not going to get all judgy at you, but I do want you to live a long time, so if you do smoke, I’m here to cheer you on if you decide it’s time to quit.)
2.     Maintain a healthy weight.  (This one is helped by some of the other items.)
3.     Engage in regular physical activity.  (See?)
4.     Eat a healthy diet.  (I would have liked a little more description here, but I guess that would make it less simple.)  (Eat your veggies and drink your water.  Most of the rest of it is up for debate by someone.)
5.     Manage blood pressure.  (A little bit of how might have been nice, but exercise is already on the list and the healthy diet and healthy weight both help.  Reduce stress if possible!)
6.     Take charge of cholesterol.  (I like the vigorous language, but it also makes me envision wild cholesterols wreaking havoc throughout the land until we manage to round them up and tame them.  Consider a plant-based diet and that exercise thing, again.)
7.     Keep blood sugar or glucose at healthy levels.  (Yep, exercise and healthy diet again, this time focusing on cutting the added sugar in foods.)

I think I know why they didn’t ask me to write the list now…

No comments:

Post a Comment