Thursday, October 10, 2019

Seasonal



Back when I did my fitness nutrition specialization, I concluded two things:  it is always good to drink water, and we all should eat more vegetables and fruits.  To help with that second thing, I checked out what is in season in October.  Here’s the list:

• mushrooms
• leafy greens (chard, chicory, beet greens, endive, lettuce, arugula, radicchio, spinach
• cabbages and cauliflower
• peas and beans
• potatoes, turnips, radishes, celeriac, and Jerusalem artichokes
• onions, leeks, and celery
• pumpkin (natch!)
• figs
• persimmons
• chestnuts
• apples
• pomegranates
• plums
• grapes

Pretty yummy, right?

I happen to have a fig tree and my Best Lunch Ever is two slices of whole grain toast with goat cheese and figs roasted with balsamic vinegar.  It also looks pretty darn fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment