Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Kiss kiss!



We all have our favorite pieces of fitness equipment—everyone wants a spin bike as a decorative element in their living room, right?  Or not.  Despite what the Fitness Industrial Complex says, we don’t really need a lot of stuff to get fit.  In fact, plenty of fitness happens with just a body!

I am a big fan of the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Silly).  I don’t like to go through a lot of rigmarole before I even get to start working out.  However, what simple looks like can in fact vary from person to person.  For me, it is, in fact, simple to have a spin bike in the living room.  Other people might find it dreadfully inconvenient.

We want to figure out what we really need to make our workouts fun and effective and easy to get started.  For some of us, that means a gym membership and some exercise clothes, or a pool and swimsuit.  Others of us live for running and can’t do without our running shoes.  Still others are happiest with a yoga mat.

Sometimes we have to be a little more complicated.  As I’ve said before, I need to wear my elbow and wrist supports when I bike or spin nowadays, but I make it as easy as possible to do it by leaving them on the handlebars between workouts.  Maybe someone else’s thing is a really good pair of shoes or goggles, or a knee brace, or headphones that make the difference between happiness and mind-numbing boredom.

We all need to find our right balance between simple and elaborate to stay happy and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment