Thursday, October 24, 2019

Thursday weirdness



Sometimes our usual motivational strategies don’t work.  Here are three totally out-there strategies to try when all else fails—I have used (do use) all of them.

1.     Pretend the workout is a montage.  Music selection is crucial here, whether you go all Rocky or Cinderella Man or Flashdance or Chariots of Fire.  Just remember that you win.
2.     Take a picture.  My Instagram is full of weird pictures from my workouts.  Finding, or at least seeking, yet another angle from which to photograph my spin bike keeps my brain whirling as fast as my feet.
3.     Tell a story.  I take the same walk with my dog every morning.  When I take photos of similar things over the course of several days, I make up a story to go along with it.  Currently, the story is the adventures of the traffic cones (Orange Witch Hats, in my telling).  I don’t know what they’re going to do next, so I have to walk to find out.

The point is that we have to do whatever works, even if it’s odd and we’re kind of embarrassed to tell anyone about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment