Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Harder to measure...



There is a rule, I think, that fitness people have to believe in goals.  This may just be commodification in action, in that goals provide ways to measure what we are accomplishing, allowing those of us who work in fitness to help clients justify the cost of our services.  I do believe in goals, but not always in the kind of measurable goals that my industry promotes.

I am not knocking measurements.  I am not criticizing anyone for choosing to set a goal about losing five pounds (or seventeen, or fifty two) or running a mile or a marathon.  If a client has that kind of goal, I certainly have the tools to help get there.

It’s just that I believe in the goals that are harder to measure.  Does the workout we are doing make us feel better?  Does it help us really enjoy that travel adventure to the fullest?  Are we building the flexibility we need to squat down and check out ladybugs with our kids or grandkids?  Do we have the breath to climb up that hill to get the view that takes our breath away?

We are so much more than a number on a scale or a dumbbell or a stopwatch.  Let’s work out to make our ineffable selves more awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment