Friday, July 12, 2019

Friday Reading Report: Swordfighting



Sometimes I start reading a book for one purpose and it turns out to be useful for something else as well.  Guy Windsor’s book Swordfighting, for writers, game designers, and martial artists is that kind of book.  I started reading in order to write a non-cringeworthy fight scene.  I have a lot more tools to accomplish that now.

However, from my perspective as a personal trainer, I found a great book about how to learn physical processes.  Windsor’s methods boil down to what I learned as “praxis” back when I worked as a facilitator for a service-learning program.  He combines analytical work, including scholarship and intellectual inquiry into how techniques are playing out, with rigorous physical training.  The results enrich both the theory and the practice as the knowledge informs the movement and the movement provides feedback on the quality of the knowledge.  Essentially, he provides a blueprint for one way of doing mindful movement.  That may sound a little Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, but it’s a good thing.  (And I liked that book, back when I read it a hundred or so years ago…)

This may not be the book for everyone.  I happen to have a degree in English with an emphasis on the medieval period, so I don’t need to be sold on the coolness of swords or manuscripts and I find the research part as fascinating as the practical aspects.  It is not a stand-alone reference for the new-to-the-subject—a lot of the Italian names for the various techniques are unexplained and untranslated.  However, Windsor is an engaging writer with strong and sometimes eccentric opinions, some of which align with my own eccentric opinions.

I like his general philosophy for working hard and smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment