Tuesday, July 2, 2019

When ticking is not the thing to do



Most of the time, I’m a planner.  I love lists and schedules.  Nothing warms my heart quite like ticking a box.  That comes in handy sometimes when it’s a question of taking care of fitness.

Other times, things don’t go according to plan.  When the schedule goes out the window due to unforeseen winds of change, what do I and the other planners like me do?  For that matter, how do those of us who prefer not to plan manage our fitness?

There are, of course, many ways to address these questions.  One technique is mindfulness.  I’m not talking about the let’s-all-breathe-in-world-peace mindfulness (not that I object to that, unless it’s being used by an exploitative system to keep the people from agitating for real change), but a more homely, basic kind.  It’s a pause to consider such things as “Is the discomfort I am feeling lifting this weight the kind that is building muscle or the kind that means I’ve reached my limit?”  or “This ice cream tastes fabulous, but do I really need to eat the entire pint?” or “I’ve been sitting at my desk for a few hours now.  How is that making my hips/back/neck feel and what can I do about it?”

Learning to pause can be difficult.  We, culturally, have internalized a sense that we should be doing things All The Time.  Please note:  we are not valuable because we are productive—we are just valuable.  Also note (for those of us who have trouble with that first note) that the kind of pause I’m talking about takes a negligible amount of time, so even the sternest advocate of the Protestant Work Ethic will not detect any lapse.

We are seeking what makes us better and stronger and more powerful, not because there is any lack in ourselves but because we are precious beings.  We can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment