Friday, March 22, 2019

Friday Book Report: The Spirited Walker



After so much sitting while studying, I hardly needed any inspiration to get walking.  Also, I have a dog, who is not shy about insisting that I get up and go.  I drank the Kool-Aid long ago about the benefits of walking for mind and body.  That said, The Spirited Walker by Carolyn Scott Kortge has a lot to offer for those of us who would like to walk more or better.  It also has a lot to bring to the mindbody conversation.

Kortge brings her journalist’s training to mindful walking.  She certainly has plenty of faith in the process, but she also has research to ground her assertions.  She suggests that we all walk for our own reasons, but that all of us are seeking both bodily and spiritual fitness, whatever spiritual means to us.

There are practical exercises, inspiring stories (and not the kind that make me want to vomit in that women’s-magazine kind of way), references, and a good list of further reading. 

It’s on my studio shelf if anyone wants to borrow it!

No comments:

Post a Comment