Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Holistic (yep, I said it)



I’ve been complaining about the continuing education course I just finished pretty much from the time I started it.  It’s integral to my learning process.  The complaining does not mean that I don’t find value in continuing education; in fact, continuing education is one of the things I like best about my profession.

Fitness, as I have said many times, is not something we do at the gym for an hour a week with a trainer.  It is much more holistic than that (yes, I have special dispensation to use that word, granted because I lived in Berkeley for 20 years).  Fitness is what we eat for breakfast, who we love, how we walk the dog, what we do about that problem knee, and how we slept last night.

What I bring to my clients’ fitness journeys is everything I know.  Some of that is about the continuing education I’ve done in nutrition, corrective exercise, Pilates, behavior modification, weight loss, blah blah blah.  Even that degree in English comes in handy.  Being a parent doesn’t hurt, either, and my work in nonprofit programming has surprising applications.  We all bring our whole selves to the gym and in an ideal world, we leave with our whole selves feeling better.

We can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment