Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Attention!






What our personal trainer or Pilates instructor knows is certainly important.  We want them to keep us safe and to know how to get us to our goals.  But it might be just as important to think about how that person pays attention.

One of the things I watch for with my clients is form.  I want to ensure that they are using their bodies in ways that don’t lead to injury.  I’m checking to see that their knees line up right or their elbows are doing the correct thing.

 

I’m also watching for signs of effort.  It’s my job to notice that ten reps are not going to happen safely and to stop the set at eight.  I tune into the energy drops and ask about whether there was food today, or enough sleep.

 

When something unusual happens, a client moves in an unexpected way, I see it and I think about why.  We talk about what is going on.  We move together.  We experiment.  And we learn from the results.

 

Paying attention is what makes progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment