Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Consent






Since I work almost entirely online, the issues around tactile cuing, for me, are pretty academic.  However, since I’m doing my continuing education on flexibility and stretching and there is a big chunk about assisted stretching, here’s the deal.

Within my scope of practice as a personal trainer and Pilates instructor, I can’t do massage or adjustments (the province of licensed massage therapists and chiropractors, respectively).  I can’t diagnose or treat injuries, and so will not feel that bump or that swelling or whatever.

 

Consent is mandatory.  If I think I can help a client with a tactile cue (say, putting a forearm along their spine and the back of their head to encourage good alignment during a pushup or plank), I will ask every time if it is all right for me to touch them.  Even if it has been all right with them the previous four hundred and sixty three times.  This time might be different.  I try to be specific when I ask for consent:  Is it ok for me to put my arm on your spine?  If it is ok with you, I am going to put my hand here by your knee; see if you can press into my hand.

 

It is 100% all right for a client to tell me no at any point.  This is true not only about touch, but about any exercise that they do not feel comfortable or confident about.  My clients trust me to keep them safe and I trust them to tell me the truth about how they feel.

 

Tactile cuing and assisted stretching can be helpful, but they’re not essential to a client’s fitness.  I have more than one tool in my chest.

 

Go play.

No comments:

Post a Comment