Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Fight the Wristy Overlord






Yesterday I wrote about working out when we are overwhelmed.  Today I am going to share, again, my larger plan for fitting fitness in to busy lives.  Meet my friend the minimum.

 I’m going to digress for a second or two.  I have an Apple Watch.  It tracks my exercise minutes, my active calories, and whether I stand up often enough.  When I hit its targets, it asks me if I want to make them more challenging next time.  It’s always there, adding just a little bit of pressure to do more.  My Apple Watch (or Wristy Overlord, as I call it) is part of a larger cultural phenomenon where we are constantly asked to work harder, smarter, and more.

 

We don’t need to.

 

What we do need to do is to pause for a moment and consider what makes us feel healthiest and best.  I feel better, personally, on days when I do get in some exercise.  I make sure that what my Wristy Overlord is suggesting is the minimum I need to feel good.  If I do more than that, it’s okay, but it is not necessary.  I can focus on other things.

 

Get in.  Do the minimum.  Get on with life.

 

Go play.

No comments:

Post a Comment