Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Vacation workouts are fun. Unless they're not.






I spent last week on vacation, so I’m thinking about vacation workouts.

For some of us, the whole idea of vacation workouts is oxymoronic.  Or just plain moronic.  It’s a vacation.  Nothing work-like or workout-like about it.  I am actually totally fine with the idea of going on vacation and not working out.  We all need rest times and seasons.

 

Then I go on vacation and… I want to work out.  Maybe I don’t want to do heavy lifting and it’s not like I can pack my Pilates equipment to take with me, but I want to move.  I now always travel with a yoga block and some yoga tune-up balls.  I have done yoga and mat Pilates in hotel rooms, at my mom’s house, and in the slightly-larger-than-a-folding-table space in our trailer.

 

Depending on the vacation, I may also walk a lot more than I do in my regular life.  I love to explore new places on foot, poking around in shops and trekking through museums.  I love strolls on the beach and hikes in the hills.  On other vacations, I get to swim.  Skiing is a vacation and a workout at the same time!  This last one, we got to play some pickleball.

 

What I’ve learned is that I personally do better when I get a bit of movement in, even if I spend most of the day sitting in the sunshine reading.

 

As always, my guiding principle for everyone is experimentation.  We need to do what works best for our own unique and wonderful selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment