Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Done and not done yet





I was thinking (no, that is not what caused the fires).  My head was churning over all the stuff I have on my to-do list and I was getting all caught up in how behind I feel.  I was specifically thinking about my (self-imposed) reading goals, but it could have been any of my various not-yet-completed projects.  Then I looked up at the bookshelf in front of me.  Which is full of books I have actually read.  Right.  Maybe I don’t need to obsess about what isn’t done yet since I know, and have evidence, that I can do things.

 

Working out can be like that.  I know a lot of us want to be thinner/fitter/stronger.  We struggle to fit in a cardio workout, or some weights.  We hear about some new study touting some other kind of exercise and we sigh inwardly because how the heck are we going to manage to incorporate even one more thing.  Might as well just give up now. 

 

Except.  We don’t lose workouts.  We get to keep the ones we did.  Our bodies remember how, even if they might take some reminding and even if we, as always, have to adapt to the body we have in this very moment.

 

We have power.  We get stuff done.  Maybe we’re not done yet, but that’s all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment