Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Practically the best thing



I am not the boss of the weather.  It is not my fault that we are having rain and cold and darkness.  However, it would be on me if I didn’t offer my number one strategy for dealing with rain/cold/darkness and the low spirits that can accompany these conditions:  do cardio.

Maybe I should rephrase that.  It’s my number one practical strategy.  Most of us don’t have the opportunity to scurry off to the equatorial region or the southern hemisphere to enjoy a second round of summer.  Those of us who like having a place to live and food to eat probably can’t get away with hiding under the covers for days on end.

So, in the absence of independent wealth and unlimited travel, we have cardio.  This may be small consolation compared to the lifestyle of the rich and famous, but the good news is that it really works.  When we get our heart rates up, we get our brain chemicals in whack.  We improve our mood and our energy level.  Our minds work better.  I firmly believe in doing things that make us feel good and cardio is one of those things.

What are we going to do today to get breathless?

No comments:

Post a Comment