Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Spinning some magic



I love my spin bike.  This is not a secret.  It hangs out in my living room (except at Christmas time, when it moves out to the studio to make way for the Christmas tree—there are a few things that have higher priority than workouts!).  I realize that not everyone puts the same value on their exercise equipment or has the willingness to declare it an interior decorating choice, but here’s why I do:

The spin bike is a magic depression-clearing machine.

I am not a psychiatrist or psychologist or therapist.  I have no clinical expertise at all.  I do have a long history with depression.  The spin bike is no substitute for professional help or medication when appropriate, but, much as I would not be alive without the aforementioned professional help and medication, I would not be here except for the spin bike.

Cardio exercise has been scientifically proven to lift mood.  Most of us can attest to the way we feel better after our workouts (maybe a little more sore or tired, but overall better, right?).  Additionally, when we depressive-types manage to take action of any kind, we get a sense of efficacy that we may be lacking.  If our bodies feel better, work better, and maybe even look better, we get bonus points.

Some people may find the same benefit from other forms of cardio:  swimming, hiking, running, dancing, skating all work, too.  Even those of us who don’t struggle with depression can benefit from cardio’s mood-boosting power.

Go play.

No comments:

Post a Comment