Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Ouch!



We all have favorite forms of exercise, which is a good thing.  What is not so good is when we do the same things over and over forever, especially as we get older.

Getting into a rut can, of course, halt our progress on our fitness journey.  Bodies like to be challenged in new ways.  The danger, however, to those of us who are not twenty anymore, is that when we do the same motions so often, we can create repetitive stress injuries.  (Obviously, this occurs in non-fitness contexts, too, as anyone with carpal-tunnel issues can attest!)

I adore my spin bike, but I know that if I do more than half an hour at a time or if I fail to use my wrist and elbow supports, I will pay.  The world is full of doors that open with knobs and when my hands refuse to grasp and turn them, I have problems.  This is one reason why I mix up my spinning for cardio with swimming and walking.

It’s a widely-known problem.  People get runner’s knee or tennis elbow or yoga butt.  Using proper form will reduce the likelihood of repetitive stress problems, but so will mixing things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment