Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Smooth(ie) Move



It took a long time to convince me that smoothies were food.  In fact, I had to Jedi-mind-trick myself by putting my smoothie in a bowl and eating it with a spoon like cereal so that I felt like I was actually having real breakfast.  Now I have one almost every day for breakfast.  It is a good way to get in some nutrients that I would struggle to get in other meals.  This recipe is an adaptation of one from the book The 10-Day Detox Diet by Mark Hyman.  It’s vegan, contains no added sugar, and actually tastes good.  The recipe makes two—I drink one right away and save the other in a mason jar for the next morning, but sharing is also an option!

In a blender, combine:

2 cups almond milk (Coconut water also works and I have also used a combination of almond milk and the last of a can of coconut milk leftover from another recipe)
1 cup frozen blueberries (or other berries, fresh or frozen)
1 banana
½ avocado
About 1Tbsp almond butter (I don’t measure)
About 1 Tbsp coconut oil (again, I don’t measure)
1 handful almonds (Brazil nuts add even more nutrition, but I don’t always have them on hand)
2 Tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp chia seeds
2 Tbsp flax seeds
2 Tbsp hemp seed hearts

My current blender has a “Frozen Drink” button that works well, but blending until fairly smooth on high also works.  This is a pretty thick smoothie, which is probably why I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment