Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Timber!



I am the worst tree ever.  When it is time for tree pose in yoga, something happens to me.  I lose all sense of balance.  My ankles decide that really what they want is to turn into blenders full of rocks.  My hips forget that they are attached to my legs and make a break for freedom at every compass point.  The problem persists all the way up the chain.  I do it anyway.

I am making peace with my Charlie-Brown-sincere tree pose because it is better than no tree pose.  It’s also a low-risk opportunity to practice dealing with adversity.  Sure, I may fall out of the pose.  Maybe it will amuse the other yogis (and myself—I am really good at laughing at myself!).  Maybe it will even make other people more comfortable when they come across a pose that is hard for them.

My tree, slowly, is getting better.  It is putting down roots.  Maybe the branches aren’t ready to reach for the sky yet, but I can be patient.  Acorn to oak is a process.

What other exercises do we find hard, do we need to practice and learn to love anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment