Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Not gonna do it...



I have written a fair amount about what I do with my clients.  It might also be useful to know what I don’t do with them.  (No, this is not about how people who have never seen Pilates equipment before walk into my studio and say, “Oh, a torture chamber…”)

Although, it is good to point out:  I don’t torture people.  One of my goals for my clients is to minimize the discomfort they need to experience while making progress toward their goals.  I say over and over that if an exercise hurts someone, it is time to stop doing that exercise.  This is not to say that all exercises are always fun—they aren’t—just that I’m not a believer in “no pain, no gain.”

Another thing I don’t do is lie.  If an exercise is uncomfortable, I will say so.  Hamstring curls give almost everyone a cramp.  Virtually everyone hates burpees.  I made up a whole song once about how much I hate lunges.  We will still do all those exercises if they are appropriate.

I don’t let clients do dangerous things, even if they want to do them.  Sometimes people get hung up on a particular target for their bench press or squat or whatever.  If the form is not there, I am not going to let that lift happen and I do not care if the last trainer said it was all right or if it was fine last week.

I do not yell.  We are all grown-ups.  I provide the opportunity to work and the accountability.  Clients can do the exercises or not do them.  I will encourage and I may even push, but I will not go all evil drill sergeant on anyone.

I do not get hung up on my agenda.  I plan workouts in advance, but if the workout I had in mind doesn’t match up with the body a client shows up with on a particular day, we do something else.  Workouts are not about my goals or my expectations, although I do have an overarching goal of clients leaving better than when they came in.

My studio is intended to be a safe space, a place conducive to growth and development.  Sometimes that is more about what I don’t do than what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment