Thursday, May 2, 2019

From a Certain Point of View...



One of the features of my life as a Pilates instructor is that from time to time I get to do continuing education.  Pilates has diversified from its roots as Uncle Joe’s personal passion and many innovators since his time have added other useful tools and perspectives to his system.  I did my training in one particular school, but the workshop I attended over the weekend was from another branch of the Pilates tree.

New skills are great; new perspectives are better.  The topic for the weekend was client assessment protocols, which could sound incredibly dreary, but wasn’t because it’s all about how to look and how to see.  My initial training of course covered assessment; I learned another view of it in my personal training certification.  Now I have another vantage point, another language to use.

Assessment applies most obviously to new clients, but I use it constantly as all my clients move through their workouts.  What is going on with that problem knee?  Is there more stiffness in a shoulder joint because of last weekend’s fun and games?

In the end, when I unify all the perspectives, I get a holistic picture of what is going on in my clients’ bodies.  (Please note:  I have special dispensation to use the word “holistic” because I lived in Berkeley for twenty years.)  We are not just an injured shoulder, a trick knee.  We are whole, rounded humans whirling on this planet.

And we all can use a shift in perspective from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment