Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Both and!



Many of my clients do both Pilates and weight training with me, if not all the time at least on occasion.  The rest of them do, too, but they don’t always know it.  That’s not because I’m sneaky, because I’m not.  It’s because I want to use all the tools I have to get my clients where they want to go.

I’m not saying I’m slipping in an entire session of iron-pumping or a whole 50 minutes of Joe’s Finest.  It’s just that there are times when one or the other modality has something better to offer.  For example, almost anyone coming back from injury can benefit from some of the exercise modifications that Pilates provides.  Squats too intense?  Let’s lie over here on the Reformer and do some footwork.  Shoulder issue?  Let’s pull some springs instead of using barbells today.  Conversely, some of the people who come to me for the alignment and lengthening effects of Pilates can benefit from using a little more resistance from time to time to keep muscles and bones strong and challenged.

There is no wall between the two halves of my studio.  This is not a situation that requires firm boundaries.  Multiple disciplines and multiple perspectives contribute to an overall healthy body!

Let’s work!

No comments:

Post a Comment